Wednesday, May 16, 2007

recent thoughts

ONE Louise finally got a job, she’s doing “recruitment” for a technical institute (I still don’t understand her actual job description) in the way outskirts of Paris. She is very upset that she has to be a working woman for the next 6 months (not sure why it’s only 6 months) and she hates being with the common folk on the RER (Metro but not) every morning and evening. Last night she came home huffing and puffing at around 6 pm and was “too tired” to make dinner, so instead of simply heating up a frozen quiche or something, she went back out and got Libanaise (Lebonese? Is that how we say it?) take-out AND a baguette from the boulangerie across the street. Weird. She also didn’t go to work yesterday because she didn’t sleep well.

TWO We (Anna & I) have to clean our bathroom every once in a while, although we secretly haven’t since we’ve gotten here because we could never figure out the cleaning products. It had gotten to the point where our bathroom was getting a bit crusty (Louise even noticed, I think she creeps around upstairs while we’re out) so I decided to take it upon myself to “give it a whirl.” I wondered for a moment why I wasn’t surprised to have cleaning culture shock, but then I realized it’s because of working for Shilpa. I found 2 very frightening products under the sink, but I couldn’t figure out how to use either, the directions were very vague. They’re the kind of cleaning products that people have owned the same container of since the 90’s and have used them only 5 times since even though the labels have magically become very worn and wrinkly.
So anyway, I somehow cleaned the surface of the sink area (we have 2 sinks side by side) without incident, although I did have to use a dish sponge and a yellow felt (?!) cloth to dry. Then came the mirror, for which I used a spray that I knew wasn’t supposed to be for glass but I had no other choice. Unfortunately, it was the wrong choice and it ended up streaky and foggy-looking. After bringing the situation up to Louise at dinner, I was able to fix it with paper towels (AMEN) and the correct spray, which was hidden under the other side of the sink. I’ve never missed Windex so much (I’m a firm believer that Windex can clean almost any surface, except for wood and select others).

THREE I was proposed to at the bar “Shywawa” on Friday night. After sidling up to me the second we sat down at a table and consulting me on what beer to get, a relentless Frenchman pitched the idea by saying, “ehh will you want to marry wiz me?” I’m not going to miss the overly eager French men who won’t give up when you tell them you’re not interested, or who even come up to you at all. Goo.

FOUR Today for lunch I met up with some friends and went to this place called “Breakfast in America,” it’s owned by an American who moved to Paris, fell in love with the city, but missed American breakfast food. [For those who don’t know, the French don’t eat much for breakfast, and definitely not anything involving eggs or bacon or pancakes. It’s usually just a croissant and coffee.] So, this restaurant ended up being kind of cool, although unsurprisingly overpriced. I chose a grilled chicken sandwich. I was shocked the moment we walked in and one of the waitresses immediately spoke to us in English with an American accent (she was American). A few among us were very excited by the existence of Dr. Pepper and Root Beer, both are extremely hard to come by in Europe, but I don’t really miss either.

FIVE Another thing about Louise: I’ve realized that she is probably the most ridiculous person I have ever met, mostly in a good way. She sashays around the apartment with a sigh here or a moan there, sometimes even a whole phrase (to herself). She is so dramatic about things such as her sleep: she hates to wake up early. Doesn’t everyone? She revealed to me tonight at dinner that she needs to lay in bed for a long time in the morning, and if anyone or anything interrupts her sleep she cannot fall back asleep and will be extremely tired for the rest of the day. The repair man came this morning to fix the dishwasher and because she had to get up at 9 am, she could not do anything with herself all day except make phone calls (she had planned on writing more of her book today). She managed to make dinner and throughout the whole meal she just sat there with her head leaning on her hand and kept telling me how tired she was and how she is going to go right to bed right after. She’s 44 years old, shouldn’t she be able to handle everyday sleep issues? Also, she frequently has nightmares about her ex-husband (one of the two), after which she is very frightened and can’t fall back to sleep.
To top it all off, the other night at dinner she confessed to Anna and I that she hears the voice of a male ancestor in her head sometimes telling her not to do things, then she does them anyway, and something bad happens. She also has seen/felt the presence of ghosts. Intensity always.

No comments: