Monday, March 12, 2007

Dimanche a Paris

Yesterday was another beautiful day in Paris. I met up with some friends and, because one had to do a project on American culture in Paris, we had lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. I'm not proud about it, but it was interesting because it was like zooming back to America for an hour and then walking back out into Paris. The food was outrageously overpriced of course, but I enjoyed a veggie burger (with strips of zucchini draped over the patty, quite good) anyway. I've become accustomed to the food/portion sizes in French cafes and was amazed when I couldn't finish everything on my plate like I always do back home. That's probably a good thing. Also, I was able to have as many napkins as I liked, a problem I've run into in France because I tend to use a lot of napkins and they usually only give you one. After lunch, Anna, Dane, Mikhail and I went over to Pere Lachaise, the famous cemetary where many French writers, artists, etc. are buried, and of course the only American (I think), Jim Morrison. Obviously I was stoked to pay my respects to Jim, and was prepared to not have my hopes up for a great monument. The graveyard was very hard to maneuver, it is divided into boulevards, and it neccessitates a map. The boulevards are made of extremely uneven cobblestones, which did not lend themselves well for walking in high heeled boots (slash I'm an idiot for always having shoe drama). I saw Edith Piaf's grave and there were some others that I didn't make it to such as Moliere and Oscar Wilde. We made it to Jim's grave (over the years people have etched into other people's graves arrows leading to Jim like this "Jim ----->" which is kind of rude I guess) and found that it has a fence around it and a security guard because of stupid Americans who have vandalized the grave over the years. It's nothing special, and quite frankly it looks like it's been there for 100 years. It just says his name and then something in Greek underneath (strange). Anna and I had to throw the 2 flowers we bought over the fence so they landed near the grave. It was really weird. Still cool to see though. At dinner last night, Louise made fish with their heads still on (trout) and it wasn't too bad, although I hated having to pick all the bones out, I'm pretty sure I swallowed a few (is that bad?). Also a great salad that consisted of tomatoes, corn, and basil, a really odd mixture that ended up to be pretty good. Anna and I grudgingly went out to a bar for our friend's birthday, planning to stay only an hour or so to make the metro but ended up staying for hours and coming home way too late.

No comments: