Monday, March 19, 2007

I'm still here

I haven't posted anything in a week, mainly because I don't have much news to report. I've gotten into a routine of classes and also planning our spring break extravaganza in Italy and Greece. We've decided to forego the south of France in order to spend more time in Italy and eliminate a plane/train ride. At the moment, the plan is to fly to Rome on April 6, take a train to Naples where we will be staying for 5 days (during which we will visit Pompeii, Sorrento, and the beaches!), then back to Rome to meet up with some more people for a few days. Then, we fly to Athens, spend a day or 2 there, then roll over to a few islands. I'm excited but also nervous (if you know me, you know being away from a "home base" for 2 weeks, staying in hostels, is quite a task). I realized that I didn't bring many spring/vacation clothing, so I'm having some sent to me from home. It's weird not being able to just run home and get stuff. Another reason I haven't posted anything is because I've been very stressed about planning my courses for the fall at Towson (I have to register in a few weeks), and of course the day that I have to register I will be away in Italy without internet access. Also, this semester is basically setting me back academically which is not good when I have to graduate next spring. I'll spare you of all the details.

I've also come to the point in my stay in Paris where the inconveniences are becoming more and more apparent (for example, not being able to find contact solution, and when I do, it costs 12 euro). In the manual that the Towson study abroad dept. hands out, it goes through the cycle of culture shock, beginning with the honeymoon period where everything is great, you have a lot of energy and love exploring, then you start to compare your native culture to your host culture and realize the inconveniences. Then, apparently you realize that you have assimilated yourself into your host culture and don't want to go back to your native culture. It seems I'm in the middle right now, although I am still enjoying my time here nonetheless. I'm excited for our 2-day excursion to the Loire Valley next weekend, and we had a nice 1-day excursion to Chartres this past Saturday. Chartres was only an hour bus ride from Paris, and it was only about 13 of us who went, as opposed to everyone from both programs. We had a great lunch with one of the directors, Annamaria, and ISA employee Sylvie. Anna and I were delighted to find the Alsacean specialty, flammekouche on the menu! It was about 10 inches in diameter and of course we each finished the whole thing. The cathedral was very pretty, but freezing, and our tour guide (who was a mix of Indian and French) was really great at explaining the meanings behind the stained glass windows and statue-type things. Also, an ancient piece of cloth that is believed to be the veil of Mary is displayed there. After the tour, we mounted the 300 stairs that led to the top of the cathedral. One of the girl in our program had a panic attack and had to go back down, but I loved it, what a great view of the town. I wasn't even tired after walking up the stairs (although after coming down my one leg muscle was spasming), thanks to the 7 flights I choose to walk up to my apartment most days instead of taking the elevator.

I must mention that on Friday afternoon, we finally found a Mexican-ish restaurant and I had amazing enchiladas. They were vegetarian but they didn't really have many beans inside, it was more of a melange of vegetables such as carrots and zucchini. Quite good. For the next couple days in Paris, movie tickets only cost 3.50 euro so I will probably partake tomorrow afternoon after class. I'd love to see a great French film, although I'm not sure if I'll understand it all. Apparently there is a good one out about Edith Piaf that my professor recommends. I have a history exam this afternoon on the Middle Age in France, but I have no idea what's going to be on it. There is no review, list of terms to know, or anything like that like in the US, just anything that is on any handouts or that's been written on the board is fair game. It should be interesting....

New pictures: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/558245811qPGbpy

1 comment:

ChristLovesBeans said...

thakns for mentioning that IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII called you yesterday!!!!! you obviously dont care........ ha
i cant wait to chat again i almost called you today but said ok wait this is expensive and i shouldnt waste time