Monday, March 26, 2007

Does not work well with others

This weekend was very rainy, therefore the only thing to do was go to a museum. On Friday, I grudgingly went to the Louvre, and walked around for about an hour or 2. It is always crowded, and too big. I went out to dinner with Anna and her brother, Andrew, who lives in Queens and is an actor. We went to the Indiana Cafe again, where I got chili con carne, it was a warm bowl of delight. I always was afraid to get things that were called "carne" because I thought it meant pork or some other strange meat, but apparently it just means meat. Good. We shared a bottle of Bordeaux and it was lovely.

Saturday morning I met up with some friends and went to the Musee d'Orsay, which I was worried about since it was a rainy Saturday and everyone and their mother would be there. Luckily, it wasn't unbearable, and I actually liked it a lot better than the Louvre, especially the impressionist paintings. The Louvre is more statues and random ancient artifacts. I saw Monet, Rodin, Picasso, Degas, Manet, Cezanne, among others. After about 2 hours I was ready to go, I always get very tired/back ache/hungry when I'm in a museum for too long. We went to St. Michel and got gyros, which were amazing as usual.

Saturday night we found a great little bar with a cave-like basement (not good for claustrophobia), that plays latin music and has reasonably-priced drinks (6 shots for 15 euro, obviously split among a group). I enjoyed dancing with friends.

Sunday I met up with friends again and had lunch on rue Mouffetard (actually the same area that the bar was), tried a crepe salee (salty as opposed to sugary) with ham and cheese, it was so big I took like 3 bites and couldn't go on. Then, we walked around past the Pantheon and through Luxembourg gardens. In the gardens, there is a big fountain where French children bring sailboats and push them around with a stick, or if they're lucky they have a remote control boat. It was nice to see and marvel about how American children are sitting at home right now playing video games and getting fat. Is that a lot to say?

Louise had Anna's brother over for dinner, and much like the time Mom came, it was a looong night. She made beef bourgengon (didn't spell that right) and it wasn't bad, there is actually a little dark chocolate in the sauce. Also, a great melange of peppers and onions, grilled and covered with balsamic vinegarette for an appetizer (called an entree here, the opposite of the US). It was funny to hear Louise speak English, she sounds so vulnerable and I loved it because she was on the other side, not "in the know." Most of the time, she would speak French to Anna and I and then we would translate to Andrew. She revealed that she is 44, interesting because she looks about 30. I tried a cheese that I didn't hate, of course I forget the name. We drank a lot of wine and by the end of the night, I was exhausted and drifted into a peaceful slumber.

Today I figured out my classes for next semester, and calmed down about my whole scheduling disaster. I am going to drop my history major definitely for a history minor, and everything should work out. I just need the final OK from my advisor and then I can stop worrying. I am going to take 6 courses in the fall (a lot, considering they're almost all upper level), so I have time to possibly write an honors thesis in the spring to graduate with Distinct Honors (ha).

In my history class today, I had an interesting experience with a Japanese girl. From my experience, the Japanese (notably the girls) are very shy and reserved and like to pretend that they're invisible. Of course we had to "work with a partner" and write a resume (summary) of the Hundred Years' War, and she was sitting next to me so we paired up. I basically told her everything to write, and she contributed nothing but grammatical errors. She didn't have any ideas and whispered apologies when I corrected her writing (since we are both getting graded for the same summary). I wanted to strangle her, my blood pressure was elevated. I just don't understand why she feels she can't just be a person in this world. Why scurry around, doing anything possible to not be noticed (like the Japanese girls that lived in my international dorm at Towson)? It's really ridiculous, I'm sorry. That's all for now.

1 comment:

bethsavage said...

i hate how this blog site comes up in german for me. every time i try to comment it tells me my username and password are wrong so ive offically changed it to savage. liked your blog. paris seems like a painting to me. i hate people who dont contribute, i too want to strangle them. ill brag by saying we go to a bar with 5 shots for 4 euros. unfortunately, you wont be in vienna on a wednesday night. we'll go to the monday night bar instead and drink 50 euro cent drinks from 7-8pm. im not sure whether to hit 'veroffentlichen' or 'vorschau' at the bottom so ill ctrl-c this message just in case. YOURS, beth