Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Riot gear

Yesterday afternoon there was a riot in the Gare du Nord train/metro station, apparently incited by a youth who didn't have a metro ticket to show when the police came around to check. It escalated into full riot proportions when people (mainly young people) started looting the stores located within the train station and setting the ticket booths on fire. You can see a video of some of the police/rioter interactions here: http://www.lemonde.fr/web/video/0,47-0,54-888738,0.html
That station is very sketchy anyway (I never go there) so don't worry, and it seems peace has been restored since then.

While the riot was going on, I was enjoying a beautiful afternoon on the Champ de Mars (garden/grassy knoll near the Eiffel Tower). Anna, Dane and I sat in the grass (of course I had to put a plastic bag down so my pants didn't get dirty) and listened to music (iPod attached to speaker). It was lovely and I took photos. After that, we decided to go for a run, the first real cardio I've done in about 2 months. It wasn't too bad and it felt good to get moving faster than a power walk for once. Unfortunately, it seems I forgot to pack my favorite purple running shorts.

Today I purchased a large traveling backpack (I don't know what the real term is) off of ebay.fr (French ebay). It only cost about $42 including shipping and will be much easier to use than a wheel-y suitcase for my spring break adventure.

No comments: